ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Lots and lots of FILLING volumes on Replication Target server

2017-04-26 10:59:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Lots and lots of FILLING volumes on Replication Target server
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 16:57:59 +0200
Reclaims on disk don't bother me, what I do on a replication target is
start the housekeeping at around 15:00 when I know the replication is done
and run db backups, and other small stuff, at the end I set the storagepool
to reclaim at 30% and only stop that 10 minutes before the replication
starts again early the next morning OR when I need to restore something
from the system with high performance.

I will wear down the drivers a bit faster but I don't care, you get maximum
usage on disk and if you run enough but not too many proc's (I test and
tune this) you can do a LOT in one night.
I never worry about volumes with 1-5% in filling state, every time I've
seen that it's works itself out just fine, just make sure each volume
doesn't get to big, I use 20GB volumes for the storagepool devclass and
maybe 60GB size for the db device class pointing to the same space, just to
keep the amount of db volumes in the volhist in check a bit. :-)
20GB is a nice size, when it drops to 70% full you reclaim the volumes but
they are nice and small data wise, if you do this with 100GB volumes you
have to wait longer and reclaim more data once it gets there.
You do need to make sure the mountlimit is high enough with restores, you
will be mounting a LOT of volumes but you get that with dedup anyway.

Thousands and thousands of volumes in the filepool are no problem what so
ever, running large volumes wastes space due to the sequential nature of
the fileclass deviceclass.

That said, I would, if possible upgrade to 8.1.1.0 and use the directory
containerpool on the replication target, that's SO much better and simpler
in every way. :-)
You can use it on the replication target only, not on the replication
source only, if you enable it on the source you need to have your target
running it first.
I never used collocation on the filepool and dedup with collocation doesn't
make any sense to me what so ever (if you are using dedup that is).