ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] 8.1 Linux client and IT13701 causing heartburn

2017-01-03 16:33:37
Subject: [ADSM-L] 8.1 Linux client and IT13701 causing heartburn
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 16:31:46 -0500
I have a user who after upgrading their Linux client to 8.1 now has a
problem with backups stopping suddenly due to APAR IT13701 whose fix is in
the 8.1 client.

Before upgrading to 8.1, the backups ran fine.

I have gone back and forth with them about this being a "fix", not a
problem but for obvious reasons, he doesn't agree since this wasn't a
problem before upgrading to 8.1?

The APAR states:

IT13701: CLIENT CRASHES DURING BACKUP WHEN PROCESSING AN INVALID DIRECTORY
STRUCTURE

but they did not have any crashes so my guess is their directory structure
is just over 1400 but not enough to cause a crash/memory problem.

Unfortunately, unless the rules have changed, they can't go back/downgrade
to 7.1.6.4 without starting all over again, correct?  This system has 7TB
and 10-million files in current backups with most of it in the /home
directory.

Can anyone from IBM explain how the 1400 number was chosen as the limit
(yes I realize this is a very big number for a nested directory structure)
?  Any way to get a opt/sys file option to let the user choose the value?

Your thoughts on this?

--
*Zoltan Forray*
Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator