ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 8.1 Linux client and IT13701 causing heartburn

2017-01-05 11:37:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 8.1 Linux client and IT13701 causing heartburn
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 11:36:35 -0500
Thanks you for confirming this and opening the PMR.

I have passed the "workaround" to the user who first discovered the "issue"
to see if it fixes his problem.  I hope a patch comes out soon that allows
us to choose this upper-limit.

Can you post the PMR number so we can follow it?

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Heinz Flemming <heinz.flemming AT kit DOT edu>
wrote:

> According to Zoltan Forray
> > I have a user who after upgrading their Linux client to 8.1 now has a
> > problem with backups stopping suddenly due to APAR IT13701 whose fix is
> in
> > the 8.1 client.
> >
> > Before upgrading to 8.1, the backups ran fine.
> >
> > I have gone back and forth with them about this being a "fix", not a
> > problem but for obvious reasons, he doesn't agree since this wasn't a
> > problem before upgrading to 8.1?
> >
> > The APAR states:
> >
> > IT13701: CLIENT CRASHES DURING BACKUP WHEN PROCESSING AN INVALID
> DIRECTORY
> > STRUCTURE
> >
> > but they did not have any crashes so my guess is their directory
> structure
> > is just over 1400 but not enough to cause a crash/memory problem.
> >

> I've a similar problem with the 8.1.0.0 client on a Red Hat 8 system:
>
> ANS0361I DIAG: incrdrv.cpp         (10473): ERROR: PrivIncrFileSpace():
> path '/home/sys/sccwww-intern/Software/TS
> M/statistik/Kontakte/install-mails' contains more directory levels than
> it can be processed...
>
> ANS1999E Incremental processing of '/home/sys/sccwww-intern' stopped.
>
> ANS6718E The path contains too many nested subdirectories. The maximum
> number of nested  directories is 1400.
>

> A PMR was opened.
>
> IBM has proposed to set the following in the dsm.opt option file:
>
> TESTFLAGS threadstacksize:2048
>
> In my case it has helped as a workaround.
>

> Greetings, Heinz

> Karlsruher Institut fuer Technologie (KIT)
> Steinbuch Centre for Computing (SCC)
>
> Heinz Flemming
> Scientific Data Management (SDM)
>
> 76131 Karlsruhe

*Zoltan Forray*
Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator
Xymon Monitor Administrator
VMware Administrator (in training)
Virginia Commonwealth University
UCC/Office of Technology Services