ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up Isilons with TSM

2014-11-25 16:07:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up Isilons with TSM
From: Christian Svensson <Christian.Svensson AT CRISTIE DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 21:04:50 +0000
Hi,
We backing up a couple of PB of Isilon daily that generates a couple of 100GB
per day of new data.
We are backing up over NFS but it is very bad solution, and it takes around 24
hours before the Isilon and TSM have identify all new files.

There is a undocumented APIs so you can identify all change files in the Isilon
so you can run a selective backup, but we had a hard time to get hold of them
from EMC because they are not as open as IBM is.

Another way that is not recommended is to use NDMP, LOL good luck with that if
you don't want to spend millions of $$$.

What I try to do now instead is either replace the EMC Isilon with IBM ESS
instead that is much better or try implement GPFS on top of the Isilon so we
get a much better backup functionality. But that is nothing IBM have tried to
get working.

/Christian