ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up Isilons with TSM

2014-11-21 11:10:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up Isilons with TSM
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 08:08:18 -0800
Hi Zoltan,

We backup two large Isilon clusters (one 715TB, the other 2PB) using TSM.
We looked at NDMP at ran away quickly due to the full backup requirement.
Instead, we worked with the data owners to setup a data organization scheme
before hand, then back up individual directories as filespaces using TSM
NFS clients connected over 10GbE. Currently we have five of these clients,
and have accomodated bursts of as much as 50TB of changed/new data in a day
using them. The only nemesis we have are folks who create lots of tiny
files; fortunately, though, over time these incidents have gotten less
frequent due to education and improvements in genomic tools.

We've been asking for Isilon to make a native TSM client since before they
were bought by EMC, and unfortunately they're just not intererested. Now
that EMC owns them, I think the possibility of a native client is even more
remote.

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:00:28AM -0500, Zoltan Forray wrote:
> Anyone have experience backing up an EMC Isilon and can share war-stories,
> methods, etc?

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354