ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up Isilons with TSM

2014-11-21 13:02:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up Isilons with TSM
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:59:15 +0000
It's awful.
Only saving grace in my case is that the data is mostly images and doesn't
change much.

I assume you've had experience setting up proxy relationships -
use many proxy machines to back up the individual shares on the Isilon, so you
can have them all working at once.
Then back up over NFS or CIFS.

I can't believe EMC is still so far behind the times that they offer no
intelligent way to back up their NAS devices (e.g. Netapp Snapdiff or V7Unified
imbedded TSM client).
But then, they tell their customers that the appropriate thing to do is buy a
second Isilon and replicate.

I have never understood how that is appropriate - manual deletes and directory
corruption replicate, too.