ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up Isilons with TSM

2014-11-21 13:06:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up Isilons with TSM
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:03:33 -0800
The cynical part of me says that it's so they can get 2x the sales they
would otherwise get. Isilon is already priced as a premium storage product,
so it certainly is painful for us customers.

Of course I don't have to explain to this audience how replication !=
backups - I've heard tales of replication on NAS devices (including Isilon)
trashing the replicated data due to software bugs.

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 05:59:15PM +0000, Prather, Wanda wrote:
> It's awful.
> Only saving grace in my case is that the data is mostly images and doesn't
> change much.
>
> I assume you've had experience setting up proxy relationships -
> use many proxy machines to back up the individual shares on the Isilon, so
> you can have them all working at once.
> Then back up over NFS or CIFS.
>
> I can't believe EMC is still so far behind the times that they offer no
> intelligent way to back up their NAS devices (e.g. Netapp Snapdiff or
> V7Unified imbedded TSM client).
> But then, they tell their customers that the appropriate thing to do is buy a
> second Isilon and replicate.
>
> I have never understood how that is appropriate - manual deletes and
> directory corruption replicate, too.

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354