ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Bandwidth

2014-05-16 13:53:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Bandwidth
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 12:51:46 -0500
If the switch-to-server links are saturated, you can gang several of
them together with etherchannel.

It's too easy to blame "the network" for everything, including
inadequately cold soda in the vending machine. So before blaming the
network, make sure that the TSM server processor is not the actual
bottleneck. I have also relieved what appeared to be network bottlenecks
by adding TSM server memory. We have also seen bottlenecks in the links
to the TSM server's disk subsystem. If these kinds of server issues are
the bottleneck, dedup will just make it worse.

And as usual, remember that each time you remove a bottleneck, you just
expose another one - which could actually be the network. If you can't
back up as much as you want, look at the whole system, not just the
network.