ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Oracle v9 backup and restore without TDP

2013-09-12 09:27:26
Subject: [ADSM-L] Oracle v9 backup and restore without TDP
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:26:21 +0200
Hi guy's,

A customer of ours is investigating cutting out the Oracle TDP for Oracle
v9 and replacing it with rman backups to disk that get picked up by the TSM
B/A client.

I am wondering if people here are doing this already.

I'm no Oracle or rman man but I wonder if you can create a workable
environment with scripting and procedures, I understand we need disk space
for the 'dumps' to disk and some space to stage the restore from TSM before
it goes back to Oracle.

But how about archive log backups and how to go about telling rman a backup
is back on another disk ready to restore to Oracle.
Can you script the name of the backups with rman and is this usually done
with the B/A archive function or the backup function.
I can image that the Oracle naming might be an issue.

If anybody here could give me some pointers that would be great, it's a
fairly large Oracle environment with full backups of more than 40TB's and
single database or multiple TB's.

Regards,
   Stefan