ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle v9 backup and restore without TDP

2013-09-12 11:49:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle v9 backup and restore without TDP
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT BILOHOLDINGS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:46:30 +0000
My bad, all Oracle log files are backup objects to TSM unless a special archive
process is used.

I used the TDP to backup the log files straight to TSM, to reduce local disk
needs on the client.
The databases were sent to flat-file on the local disk.
However, the same logic should work for the logs too, but as always
test,test,test.

Everything is rman driven;
Rman scripts are created, like normal, but data is sent to disk rather than to
TSM directly.
Then an include statement is added to the BA client to assign the location
where the RMAN backup data is stored on the local file-system to a particular
management class like:
Include /backup/oracle/data/.../* mnmtclass_name

When it comes to the data not continually being on disk, if rman does not find
them in the location it will mark them as "expired", not "obsolete". When you
run the delete process by rman just delete the obsolete objects (not expired).
Remember, Expired backups are those found to be "inaccessible" during the
crosscheck. RMAN does not physically remove files from the disk it just updates
its repository.

When a restore is needed; restore the files to disk using the BA client and use
crosscheck to update the catalog.

Alternatively, you could just mark the backups as "unavailable" in rman as they
are removed from the file-system, and then "available" when they are restored
and needed for recovery.

It may be helpful to review the sections on crosscheck, expired, available and
unavailable options here:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/advmaint.htm

Hope this helps clear things up a bit....

-Rick Adamson