ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle v9 backup and restore without TDP

2013-09-13 01:00:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle v9 backup and restore without TDP
From: Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT AHLIUNITED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 04:57:41 +0000
There are next ways to backup Oracle databases using TSM:
1) using RMAN + TDPO + TSM Client to TSM server by periodic full backups and
incremental backups on other days;
2) using RMAN + DDBoost to Data Domain by periodic full backups and incremental
backups on other days with Data Domain de-duplication;
3) using RMAN to local disk with following backup of flat files to TSM Server
using TSM Client;
4) using direct TSM backup for Oracle database files using TSM Client  (offline
backup).
The first option is a classical TSM backup for Oracle databases with quite
solid expenses for licenses, but most reliable in comparison with other
options. We are using this way for many years and I can provide complete set of
required scripts for Unix environment (contact me by direct E-mail);
The second option is the fastest way to backup Oracle databases directly to
external Data Domain storage. RMAN is free (part of Oracle license), but you
need to pay for Data Domain system itself with DDBoost and de-duplication
licenses (maybe 10Gb/s network is required as well for mentioned capacity).
According to stated Oracle database size this is preferable option (in my
opinion).
The third option is almost impossible to use due to huge disk space
requirements (more than double capacity is required on local disks). It can be
used only if disk space is not a problem for customer.
The forth option can be used for small databases and for not 24/7 applications.

Grigori Solonovitch, Senior Systems Architect, IT, Ahli United Bank Kuwait,
www.ahliunited.com.kw