ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] : TSM Running out of Scratch Tapes

2013-07-08 17:17:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] : TSM Running out of Scratch Tapes
From: white jeff <jeff.white3 AT BLUEYONDER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 22:15:50 +0100
Hi

It is most useful if you state which version of TSM server you are running.
The OS it runs on and the tape media (LTO3/4/5 etc) would be helpful

What retention policies are in place for the domain copygroups? If NOLIMIT
is in force, then data will never expire and will eventually use all of
your tapes

When you say tapes are becoming 'unavailable', is this the status of the
volume within TSM? (Do a 'q vol f=d' to check). If so, this is often
because you are trying to use tapes that have been physically removed from
the library. If TSM wants to use that tape, it will eventually place the
tape in an 'UNAVAILABLE' state because it cannot mount the volume in the
library as a result of being removed.

In terms of running low on scratch, as the previous poster said, make sure
expiration and reclaim is running. In particular, make sure reclaim is
running and actually completing. The SUMMARY table will report on
expiration and reclaim activity over a period of time (usually 28 days)

Establish the percent-reclaimable space of your tape volumes. Use this
command:

SELECT VOLUME_NAME, STGPOOL_NAME, PCT_RECLAIM, STATUS FROM VOLUMES WHERE
VOLUME_NAME LIKE '%L3'   (This is assuming you are using LTO3 tape. Change
accordingly)

How many versions of database backups do you retain?

These are common causes of tape problems.