ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Now that I have a TS3500 - I have questions

2013-05-28 10:01:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Now that I have a TS3500 - I have questions
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 09:58:31 -0400
Thanks for asking.  Lots of drama but it didn't take anywhere as long as
they "guessed".  In fact it took me longer to reconfigure 7-TSM servers and
then figure out various nuances then the physical deinstall/install.

The library was completely emptied and ready for them to shutdown by 10am
Friday.  They showed up around 1pm and had the 3494 dismantled by 4pm,
eventhough they did a proper disasembly (took it apart carefully vs using
hacksaws and chainsaws.  Originally IBM was going to 'deinstall for
purposes of disposal' but then they came up with a "recycle" program and
didn't charge us.

They originally said they were going to quit by 6:30pm and come back
Saturday.  I get a phone call at 8:30pm saying the TS3500 was installed and
ready to have our tapes manually loaded but it wasn't powered-up or tested,
yes.

We agreed to start at 8am Saturday.  They arrived and powered things up and
tested, oiled (it was squeaking) and upgraded the library firmware. Turned
it over to us by 1pm.

Had to restart most of my TSM servers but they still couldn't see the tape
drives.  Nobody told us the WWN of the drives would be changed/managed by
the library so my SAN guy had to reconfigure the switch/ports/fabric.

After that it was TSM reconfiguration and wrestling with the
assignment/checkin process (what fun manually reassigning 1400 cartridges).
 IMHO, the 3494 was sooo much easier to manage.

We went home around 6pm Saturday.

Still had some TSM issues to deal with Sunday morning, mostly things like
vaulting, training operators how to checkin/checkout tapes, etc.

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT firstenergycorp DOT
com