ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull

2013-01-26 08:46:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:43:29 -0500
Thanks for the tip about ALMS.  I saw it and figured I would need it.....

As for replacing the TS1130 with TS1140 - .  The cost is way out there.  We
just added 3-new TS1130 and upgraded some TS1120's withing the past
6-months.  My money guy did the math.  The cost to replace 1200 JA tapes
and get 4-TS1140 drives, with our educational discount, would run ~$235K on
top of the library cost.  Plus he made some comment about the data transfer
rate of the TS1140 is less than/not as good as the TS1130 drives.

With 7-TSM servers (with more TSM servers in my future to address the need
to backup many thousands of faculty/staff/student "desktops") transferring
data from disk-to-tape, all day long, I need spindles not necessarily
storage capacity.  We currently have 17-TS1130 drives and more than half
are in use, constantly (I have one Notes server that backs up >9TB every
2-weeks)

Thanks for the suggestion.....