ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull

2013-01-26 08:32:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:30:18 -0500
Thanks for the details/reassurance. This sheds some light on possible
issues that would make it difficult to do a push/pull, right now.

>>>Carts get assigned to the logical libraries based on a volser range
filter in the library interface.

If this is a absolute restriction, this is going to be a pain/problem.
 While I currently have my 3494 "divided" between two TSM servers for
offsite/onsite, they are also "mostly" divided by tape type JA (onsite) and
JB (offsite).  I use the word "mostly" since I often have had to shift
tapes between the offsite and onsite "libraries" due to shortage of tapes
in one "library" or the other. We can't just go out and buy tapes when
needed due to cost, bidding requirements (last time we needed tapes is took
2-months) and such.  We often have departments that will suddenly dump
multiple terabytes of new data/backups on us (one backup running right now
up to 2.5TB new and will probably go to >7TB)

Looks like I have some work to do before we even think about such a
move......