ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull

2013-01-25 22:08:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape library possible replacement - push/pull
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 03:01:50 +0000
Yep, pretty much that simple.

Check the tapes out of one library, check them into another.
No more complicated than if you are going to a DR site that has a 3584 rather
than a 3494.
TSM doesn't care.

There are some differences in the library management:

If you are talking to the 3494 library interface via TCP/IP now, that changes.
(Some people use the TCP/IP interface, some use a serial cable.)
TSM talks to the 3584 library via the atape drive over the fibre, it has its
own device number/path.

Thomas already mentioned that the 3584 can be partitioned into logical
libraries.
If you have multiple TSM servers or other apps using the 3494, you keep them
separated now by 3494 category codes, those go away.
You have the logical libraries now instead.  Carts get assigned to the logical
libraries based on a volser range filter in the library interface.