ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual TSM

2010-02-03 14:08:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual TSM
From: Xav Paice <xpaice AT OSS.CO DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:07:35 +1300
----- "Lindsay Morris" <lindsay AT TSMWORKS DOT COM> wrote:

> [...]

We ought to point out that it's only the most recent versions of ESX that can
actually present a Fiberchannel attached tape to a guest in any case.  I would
suspect that by the time the new version has made it's way through the labs at
IBM, support is inevitable - but I've not seen any announcements nor expect
them soon.  Note that TSM is supported under ESX, just not tape and LAN-Free
which were technical limitations only recently resolved.  It would be
impossible for anyone to support an application using Fiberchannel attached
tape on a guest where the hypervisor is incapable of delivering that.

TSM is also one of those intensive I/O workloads which is the hardest to
virtualise without affecting the other workloads on the host.  ESX with the
other companion products has a swag of benefits other than consolidation, but
performance is a consideration for TSM without the additional complication of
VM's.