ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual TSM

2010-02-05 19:23:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual TSM
From: "Conway, Timothy" <Timothy.Conway AT JBSSA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 17:22:01 -0700
Virtualizing an I/O monster like that is - well, obviously you're not planning
on great performance.  A POC? A sandbox?  A demo?  If you just need to have it
controlling and using a library, how about setting up an iSCSI bridge?  Then
the interface to the device is entirely within the virtual machine, and all ESX
sees is lots of network I/O.
For an actual production implementation, that would suck, but you wouldn't
virtualize a production implementation, not of your main TSM server.  What
COULD make sense, would be a VM with disk and a SERVER device class leading
back to a proper I/O monster on the other end of a WAN link.  Then it can act
as a fast local backup server for the site, and migrate itself empty every day
into the main storage, where the stgpool backups and so on take place.
I set up such an implementation a couple years ago when the powers that be were
convinced it was TSM server performance that makes TDP for AS400 worthlessly
slow.