ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual TSM

2010-02-02 15:40:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual TSM
From: Xav Paice <xpaice AT OSS.CO DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:39:56 +1300
Quoted from the IBM link, the table refers to virtualisation where "the
resources are then purely virtual (not dedicated) and/or are not discrete".  My
confusion, and I'd love someone to clear this up, is where we have RHEL running
KVM.  Red Hat clearly stated in their customer seminar on RHEV-M that if an app
is supported on RHEL 5.4, it's supported under KVM on RHEL 5.4.  If I add a PCI
card (e.g. multi port HBA with tape attached) to a virtual machine, that is
discrete and dedicated, that could be supported but it's a pretty grey area.
Anyone care to confirm or deny?

As Wanda put very accurately (off list), "when they say something is supported,
it means if you call and report a problem, they will work on the problem" -
that's the application vendor's support rather than the OS vendor's view of
what's certified. Any software vendor is going to want to limit the support to
things they can test in the lab - Tivoli might test TSM on RHEL, but maybe not
RHEL under RHEV/KVM.

That link also mentions non i386 virtualisation - such as LPARs and DSD.

My apologies to the OP if this hijacks the conversation - I think it's on topic
as you didn't mention which hypervisor you will select.