ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Who at IBM is the support group for the Atape driver?

2008-06-26 15:44:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Who at IBM is the support group for the Atape driver?
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:42:54 +0200
On Thursday 26 June 2008, Kauffman, Tom wrote:
> Is this, as a 'driver' considered to be under the hardware support group?
> Or, since the only actual use of the Atape driver I'm aware of is to tie
> TSM to IBM tape libraries and drives, is this a part of TSM?
>
> I just moved TSM from a P5-550 to a dedicated LPAR on a P6-550. In the
> process we went from AIX 5.3-06 to AIX 5.3-07. We did a fresh install of
> TSM 5.5.0.0 and installed the most current Atape driver (11 something
> whatever's on the download site). After the migration we enabled alternate
> pathing on our drives with no problems.
>
> Then we tried to set alternate pathing on the library (smc) devices and got
> the message that "Alternate Pathing Feature is not supported by Library".
> Well, it bloody well worked several hours earlier on the same library. We
> dropped back to the previous version of Atape, used in the other system -
> 10.7.3.0 - and get the same error message.
>
> According to ALMS, "Path Failover" is enabled (a TS-3500). We have four
> control points defined in the library.
We had the same problem with a new library.
I don't remember the solution, but I think the alternate path for the rmt
devices had to be entered on the AIX with dpf_keys and the alternate path for
the smc devices on the library.  Or vice versa.

Also, if you set SANdiscovery to on, TSM will see that some devices has the
same serial number and will switch to another path if needed.  I never tried
this, but in theory it should work.

Stef