ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Who at IBM is the support group for the Atape driver?

2008-06-26 17:11:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Who at IBM is the support group for the Atape driver?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:10:18 -0400
On Jun 26, 2008, at 3:01 PM, Kauffman, Tom wrote:

Is this, as a 'driver' considered to be under the hardware support
group? Or, since the only actual use of the Atape driver I'm aware
of is to tie TSM to IBM tape libraries and drives, is this a part of
TSM?

Atape is the AIX, pSeries tape and medium changer device driver.  From
all that I've seen, device drivers are maintained by programmers in
IBM's hardware subdivision.  (ADSM was originally a software product
engineered by the hardware division, then moved to Tivoli to more
appropriately be on the software side.)  Atape is largely known for
its use by TSM, but it obviously provides native access to IBM tape
products by anything running in AIX.

    Richard Sims