ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication

2007-08-31 20:39:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:33:44 -0400
I thought we DID address that in one of the posts.  (Maybe I'm getting
things confused with another thread I'm having on the same topic.)

A properly designed de-duplication backup system should restore the data
at the same speed as, if not faster than the backup, and the tests that
I've done with a few of them have all worked this way.  I believe it's
something you should test, but it appears that the designers thought of
this natural objection and designed around it.

I believe it has to do with the fact that restoring 100 random pieces to
create a single file means you get to read off of a bunch of spindles.

I will say that there are speed differences between the de-dupe
appliances (VTLs) and de-dupe backup software.  De-dupe backup software
still restores fast enough for what it was designed for.  (You should be
able to fill a GbE pipe with such a restore.)  But they're not going to
restore at the 100s of MB/s that you can get out of one of the
appliances.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies