ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Looking for a broker or buyer for Finisar SFP and Qlogic HBA

2007-05-14 17:05:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Looking for a broker or buyer for Finisar SFP and Qlogic HBA
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:05:07 -0400
> The biggest problem is that newbies don't have any idea where to
> post their question.  They post it to a forum that's got low traffic
> and they get frustrated.

I disagree that this is the biggest problem.  The problem you describe
is a problem rooted in ignorance, whose unpleasant impact is felt by
the ignorant requestor.  This is undesirable, but often unavoidable.
(Please don't read 'ignorant' as connoting disdain: It's just
ignorance, not evil) For those who are both ignorant and unwilling to
self-educate (I mean, come on: wikipedia has us, and an RSS feed, and
Richard's quick facts, and so on) your site is not going to be more
accessible an interface than those already present.  They still won't
be able to find it.

But you say:

> On any given day, I'd say about 5% of the postings on the list are
> coming from the forum, and most of them are actually ANSWERS, not
> "flyby" newbie questions that some were worried about.

OK.  That looks like a well reasoned counterclaim.  I'm Really-really
sceptical, and the first obvious example sure looks like it
contradicts your claim, but what the heck.

> (One concern that some people stated was that they thought that
> newbies would jump in and out of a forum more often than they would
> a mailing list, that joining the list was considered "sweat
> equity.")

Well, 'sweat equity' is a rather supercilious way to put it.  More a
matter of "Read the FAQ, please?"  Here: "How to ask smart questions",
by Eric Raymond.

> As far as SPAM, which started this thread, I hate it as much as you do,
> and am vigilant against it.  I'm actually continually working on minor
> and major updates to the site to let posters know that this is not what
> the site is for, and that we have a zero tolerance policy for SPAM.

So here's a suggestion: You moderate incoming messages, and then
report back in, say, a year or so, about how many you had to weed out?
That makes the initial traffic a measure of your own reputation, and
makes sure you're acknowledging it.  You're taking responsibility for
the (possible) flow of clueless questions, and it'll take up -your-
time, not ours.

> I'd hate to see TSM listed as the only product that won't allow it.

Heh.  So did you deliberately type that in-character as the Godfather?

<husky> That's a nice piece of backup software you got there.  Be a
shame if something were to ....  happen... to it. </husky>

I'd hate for you to go out of your way to say something unpleasant
about TSM too.  Especially when you're confusing the official
imprimatur of IBM with the evolving opinion of exactly the community
you're trying to attract.

Wow.  I'm amazed at how much less charitable I feel towards your
efforts after reading that last bit.

- Allen S. Rout