ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Looking for a broker or buyer for Finisar SFP and Qlogic HBA

2007-05-14 13:48:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Looking for a broker or buyer for Finisar SFP and Qlogic HBA
From: Charles A Hart <charles_hart AT UHC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 12:47:39 -0500
Very well put...

I was suprised, and disapointed to see that an actual ADSM Member had a
"Concern" was "(One concern
that some people stated was that they thought that newbies would jump in
and out of a forum more often than they would a mailing list, that
joining the list was considered "sweat equity.")

For the most part the folks on this list are great about sharing than the
default RTFM response.

One note on the Archive Mailing List Search.  I know I missed something a
while back when the ADSM Archive List Search function was changed, but
it's not the most intuitive compared to the last interface, I guress I
have to RTFM....

Charles Hart

Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
05/14/2007 12:05 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Looking for a broker or buyer for Finisar SFP and Qlogic HBA

David,

Although "hate" is a very strong word and I may not convince you
otherwise, please permit me to defend the idea for a moment.  I hope
you'll see that it was done to help the list.

I believe you can agree that a single large community supporting a given
product is better than several smaller communities.  I think it's bad,
for example, that ADSM has the adsm.org forums that are looked at by one
group of people, the tek-tips.com forums that are looked at by another
group of people, and the mailing list that's looked at by another group
of people.  The biggest problem is that newbies don't have any idea
where to post their question.  They post it to a forum that's got low
traffic and they get frustrated.  I therefore had NO INTEREST in
building another community that was not connected to the existing one.

I also believe that there are many people that can contribute to the
discussion that do not want to consent to a barrage of emails every day.
For example, many people send their email to the blackberries or treos,
and don't want that kind of traffic.  BUT, they wouldn't find following
and contributing to postings on a forum.

I started this with the NetBackup & NetWorker lists, and things have
gone very well.  In only a few months, we've got great synergy between
the two.  On any given day, I'd say about 5% of the postings on the list
are coming from the forum, and most of them are actually ANSWERS, not
"flyby" newbie questions that some were worried about.  (One concern
that some people stated was that they thought that newbies would jump in
and out of a forum more often than they would a mailing list, that
joining the list was considered "sweat equity.")

Connecting it this way also provides a really great threaded search of
the mailing list and all its history.  (Check it out at
http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=13)

After successfully doing this for the other products, I moved on to TSM.
My questions to the list administrator went unanswered, so I went the
"easier to ask forgiveness" route.

As far as SPAM, which started this thread, I hate it as much as you do,
and am vigilant against it.  I'm actually continually working on minor
and major updates to the site to let posters know that this is not what
the site is for, and that we have a zero tolerance policy for SPAM.  You
may notice that I was quite quick on responding to this clown, the FIRST
person, actually to use the forums to send SPAM to any of the three
mailing lists I've done this for.

The other list admins and I work together on this issue, and I hope that
we can come to the same kind of arrangement here.  I think the cross
posting is good for all concerned, and I'd hate to see TSM listed as the
only product that won't allow it.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Author of O'Reilly's Backup & Recovery and Using SANs and NAS
VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies