ADSM-L

Re: Copy Storage Pool Switch / Volume Reclaim

2002-12-30 18:10:33
Subject: Re: Copy Storage Pool Switch / Volume Reclaim
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 18:09:54 -0500
>We only switched some of the primary pools to backup to the new copy pool.
>We still backup the storage pools that were not switched to the original
>copy pool each day.  So, the original copy pool now contains current backups
>of the non-switched primary pools, and partial backups of the switched
>npools.  How do I remove the occupancy of switched pools without interrupting
>the non-switched primary pool backups?

You could deal with a "partial" like this in a number of ways...
You could create, at least temporarily, a new primary storage pool and either
migrate the current data into it, or do a Move Data on volumes, and then do a
Backup Stgpool on the then-empty primary to cause finality in clearing out the
old copy storage pool.  You could then either leave the new stgpool as the
primary, or "flip" the hierarchy and migrate the data back into the original
primary.
Another way assumes you have one or more safety, second copy storage pool(s)
containing all the data (which would ideally be an offsite pool).  With that
copy secure, you then delete all the volumes in the old copy storage pool,
and thereafter do Backup Stgpool operations on your primaries to repopulate the
old copy stgpool with just the primary data you want there.  This way is rather
more palatable.

  Richard Sims, BU