ADSM-L

Copy Storage Pool Switch / Volume Reclaim

2002-12-30 15:57:56
Subject: Copy Storage Pool Switch / Volume Reclaim
From: Colby Morgan <cmorgan AT DATA-TRONICS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:57:24 -0600
We are running TSM v5.1.5.4 on Win2k-SP2 with several primary disk
sequential storage pools defined.  We originally backed up each primary pool
to a single 8mm tape copy storage pool daily.  We recently created a second
copy pool and switched which copy pool some of the primary pools back up to.
My questions is, how do I remove the occupancy left over from the switched
primary pools in the original copy pool?  I understand that as objects are
expired from the switched primary pools, data will be expired from the
original copy pool (and subsequently not backed up to the original copy pool
again).  We still have quite a bit of static/stale objects that will not get
expired from the original copy pool though.

I thought about trying a "move nodedata" for nodes affected in the copy pool
to a new volume and then delete the resulting volume, but I receive a
successful return message in the actlog but zero bytes are moved.

I was also able to pull a list of volumes from the original copy pool that
contain data that can be removed (along with unaffected data).  Is there any
other way to delete the occupancy short of deleting these volumes and
allowing the copy pools to re-backup?

Thanks,
Colby Morgan