ADSM-L

tape length issues

2002-12-16 17:16:01
Subject: tape length issues
From: Peter Ford <PFord AT STENTOR DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:07:36 -0800
A little while ago, there was a post regarding the physical length of LTO media
(which I can no longer find on the ADSM.org website).  The author mentioned
that due to discrepancies in the physical length of tape, in an LTO cartridge,
possible issues could arise when copying data from one volume to another.  For
example, assuming you had two 100GB LTO tapes, it would be possible to lose
data when performing a "Move Data" from volume A to volume B, if volume B
happened to be slightly shorter.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced anything like this?  Is this really
an issue?

Thanks.
Peter

    Peter Ford