ADSM-L

Re: DB2 backup on AIX

2002-12-16 17:32:12
Subject: Re: DB2 backup on AIX
From: "Garrison, Tony" <Anthony.Garrison AT USAA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:29:32 -0600
We have our important DB2 databases being backed up to local DASD then TSM
backs up the flat files with the required management class for database
retention.  This alleviated problems we were seeing with the db2 backups being
interrupted and causing an "out-of-sync" condition, which only a restart of the
application could fix.  This also enables us (TSM) to control the expiration of
the database files instead of relying on the DBA to expire them.  This has
decreased our storage requirements on some of these servers to a quarter of
what they were using.

Tony Garrison
I/T Sr. Systems Programmer
USAA