ADSM-L

Re: tape length issues

2002-12-17 09:12:46
Subject: Re: tape length issues
From: Matt Simpson <msimpson AT UKY DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:12:04 -0500
At 20:44 -0500 12/16/02, Richard Sims wrote:
There's a surprising amount of inconsistency as to the length of Ultrium tape,
as reported by various vendors - despite the supposed industry standard.
HP quotes 580 meters; others 609 or 610 meters (2000 feet).

Yesterday, we had the opportunity to find out how long an Imation
Ultrium tape is, thanks to one of the drives in our 3584 library

http://jms.cc.uky.edu/Fun/ltotape.jpg

After the CE removed the tape from the drive, he also had to replace the drive.

I just love this new technology, instead of that boring old mainframe
stuff that just worked and didn't give us challenges like this.
--

Matt Simpson --  OS/390 Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300