ADSM-L

Re: tape length issues

2002-12-16 19:14:16
Subject: Re: tape length issues
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:12:49 -0500
You would not loose data.  If volume B gets full then another
tape is mounted and data move continues.

I don't think there is any tape technology that two tapes would have
"identical" length other than a random pairing.  That's why TSM writes
till EOT then continues onto another tape.

David Longo

>>> PFord AT STENTOR DOT COM 12/16/02 05:07PM >>>
A little while ago, there was a post regarding the physical length of
LTO media (which I can no longer find on the ADSM.org website).  The
author mentioned that due to discrepancies in the physical length of
tape, in an LTO cartridge, possible issues could arise when copying data
from one volume to another.  For example, assuming you had two 100GB LTO
tapes, it would be possible to lose data when performing a "Move Data"
from volume A to volume B, if volume B happened to be slightly shorter.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced anything like this?  Is
this really an issue?

Thanks.
Peter

    Peter Ford
    System Engineer

Stentor, Inc.
 5000 Marina Blvd,
 Brisbane, CA 94005-1811
 Main Phone: 650-228-5555
 Fax: 650 228-5566
 http://www.stentor.com
 pford AT stentor DOT com

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 12/16/2002 07:14:33 PM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.