ADSM-L

Re: Why are all my NT files getting backed up again?

2002-03-22 12:12:08
Subject: Re: Why are all my NT files getting backed up again?
From: Pete Tanenhaus <tanenhau AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:09:37 -0500
In almost all cases, the worst case scenario is that Journal Based Backup
will revert to a traditional
progressive incremental backup and no additional objects will be backed up.

The one possible exception is when virus protection (or potentially other)
software saves objects object attributes
(for example, last access date/time stamp), modifies them, and then resets
them to their original value.

In this scenario objects processed by the virus protection software will
not be backed up again by traditional
incremental backup because candidates for backup are selected based on
attribute comparison between
the local copy of the object and the copy of the object on the TSM server.

Since the Journal service monitors real-time change activity to the
filesystem,  each object processed by the
anti-virus software will generate a change notification and will cause an
entry to be added to the journal
database, and since Journal Based Backup selects backup candidates based
solely on the contents of
the journal every object process by the virus protection software (usually
the entire filesystem) will be
backed up again.

Symantec has a fix available for Norton Anti-Virus which allows the
caching/resetting of attributes to be
turned off during Nav scan processing (please see the TSM readme file for
details about obtaining the
fix).

Anyway, you might want to try turning off any virus protection software
(Symantec or otherwise).

Hope this helps .....

Pete Tanenhaus
Tivoli Storage Solutions Software Development
email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
tieline: 320.8778, external: 607.754.4213

"Those who refuse to challenge authority are condemned to conform to it"

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on

Andrew Raibeck/Tucson/IBM@IBMUS AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> on 03/22/2002 09:29:43 AM

Sent by:    "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>