ADSM-L

To map or not to map - that is the question

2001-12-26 16:52:00
Subject: To map or not to map - that is the question
From: "dryback AT home DOT com" <dryback AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:34:28 -0500
Hello, *SMers! We've been using an NT Server to backup a bunch of network
drives that are mapped from a Network Appliance filer.  When this was setup a
couple of years ago, the admin decided to leave the system 'locked' instead of
logging out so the mappings wouldn't disappear on logoff.  He then added
explicit 'DOMAIN' statements representing the drives in the dsm.opt file.  I
see two ways of cleaning this up so we can logoff the console and not worry
about it.

1. Put PRE/POST command files that map and unmap the drives before/after the
backup so the drive letter references in the DOMAIN options stay current.

2. With the documentation I read in the 4.2 NT client, I wondered if I could
simply add UNC paths to the dsm.opt file in the form of 'include' statements
that directly reference the share I want backed up.  For example:

\\remote\c$\include\file.out versus r:\include\file.out

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,
Dylan

http://mail2web.com/ .