ADSM-L

Re: Appropriate way to UPGRADE client

2001-12-26 16:25:54
Subject: Re: Appropriate way to UPGRADE client
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:23:09 -0500
On 26 Dec 2001 at 11:15, Malbrough, Demetrius wrote, in part:
> Is it documented anywhere the appropriate way to upgrade the client?
>
> Scenario:
> You have an NT client at 3.1.0.6 and you want to upgrade it to the
> latest level of the client which is 4.2.1.18.
>
> Do you upgrade to TSM 4.2.1.0 first and then upgrade to the patch of TSM
> 4.2.1.18?

I know of no reason why you'd install the .0 level and then a patch
level ... at least not for the *SM clients.

But whenever anyone asks me about upgrading Windows *SM clients, I tell
them (0) defrag all disks,  (1) reboot, (2) uninstall the old client,
(3) reboot, (4) install the new client, and, the ever popular: (5)
reboot.  Not all of these are needed all of the time, but each is
useful some of the time.

The *SM Windows client installs have been getting *much* better, but I
still suggest this sequence.

Happy Holidays!
wayne

Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System