ADSM-L

Re: Excessive Read Errors on LTO

2001-05-18 08:37:32
Subject: Re: Excessive Read Errors on LTO
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:38:24 -0400
>Backups are running perfectly, restores are also running perfectly but
>during the week-end, when reclamation is running, I get the following
>error messages :
>
>05/08/2001 16:39:04   ANR1417W Access mode for volume 265AADL1 now set
>                      to "read-only" due to excessive read error.
>05/08/2001 16:39:37   ANR8302E I/O error on drive DRIVE2 (\\.\TAPE1)
>                      (OP=LOCATE,CC=0, KEY=03, ASC=14, ASCQ=00,

Messages manual Appendix D goes into the ANR8302E error indicators.
I presume that the volume suffering the error was the input to the Reclaim.
As such, it would be a tape which was not written recently and thus was
subject to different conditions than current tapes, which are not
encountering like errors.  Perhaps way back then the drive was in between
cleanings and residue had built up on the head; or perhaps the drive had
been having problems back then.  Your service records, coupled with Activity
Log records as to the drive that wrote the tape, may provide further insight.
Perhaps the tapes were recorded under a different drive microcode level?

I would keep records of tapes which exhibited such errors and, after they
re-enter service (post reclamation), see if they show any further problems,
which would tend to indicate a true media problem.

   Richard Sims, BU