ADSM-L

Re: 3590 K

2000-08-02 13:26:46
Subject: Re: 3590 K
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:26:46 -0400
> I think what Eliza was asking and I too would like an experienced answer
> on is "cohabitation."
>
> Could I keep an offsite copypool that is "J" tapes and an onsite
> "K" library?   If all I have are "E" drives that can read/write "J" and
> "K"s???

To do this, I think you would have to assign your J tapes to the copypool,
and the K tapes to the primary, and manage the scratch pools yourself,
more or less manually, via define volume.  Unless you could partition the
library into multiple logical libraries, and checkin J's to one, and K's
to the other. I have never done this with a 3494, but I would guess that
means "dedicating" drives to each logical library, which is probably not
something most shops can afford.

> Re-cycling the "J"s for offsite only is ideal as I only send tapes that
> have reached "FULL" status off to Arcus every Wed.

I'm not really sure why this makes a difference.  Come Wed., no matter if
your copypool is on J's or K's, you will have as many "filling" tapes as
you run "backup stgpool" processes.  So, if you run one process to backup
your primary pool, you will have one filling tape, and some number of Full
tapes.  Now, if the filling tape is a K, then you may have more data not
going offsite that day than if the filling tape were a J, but then, you
could then decide to mark it R/O and send it offsite anyway...

...but, perhaps I am missing something about your setup and schedule...

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)