ADSM-L

Re: 3590 K

2000-08-03 06:02:00
Subject: Re: 3590 K
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 06:02:00 -0400
> Steve,    Hi!
>
> Can't a 3494 have two distinct scratch pools defined for a system.
> Right now I have x'0190' and x'0192' where x'0190' is 'owned-inuse'
> and x'0192' is 'owned-scratch'  and 'FFFF' is insert, etc.
>
> So why not an x'0193' for 'owned-scratch-alternate'?
> I already have my onsite pool pointing to devc=3590 ... BUT ...
> my offsite pool pointing to devc=3590C
>
> a little trick I decided to use after having two 15-slot DLT boxes for a
> year.   :-)

But here, you actually had two distinct libraries that could not share
slots or drives.

> So I can just have onsite scratches pointing to "K" only tapes?

I don't have a lot of experience with scratch categories, but it seems to
me that this setup would require multiple (logical) libraries being
defined to *SM, one with SCRATCHCATegory=192,PRIVATECATegory=190, and the
other with SCRATCHCATegory=193,PRIVATECATegory=191.  It seems that then
you would also have to partition your drives amoung the two logical
libraries, which would be required if you have a mix of B1A and E1A
drives...

I'm not aware that you can have mulitple scratch/private categories
assigned to a single library.

But then again, I might be missing something here that a more experienced
3494er might know.  I've only had mine for, what, 10 months now!  My, how
time does fly!

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)