ADSM-L

Re: Plea for ammo-

1999-10-07 10:56:07
Subject: Re: Plea for ammo-
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:56:07 -0500
Lisa,

I am with you on this. I believe that you do need Admin rights.
A lot of the problem lies with the way that Microsoft has setup the security
system on NT.

Although you can do certain tasks being a Backup Operator or an Account
Operator you really can't accomplish much unless you are an administrator.

You can't run dsmcutil unless you are a member of the local admins group. I
run dsmcutil two or three times a day here, sometimes even more.

If you decided to logon at a command prompt interactively and try dsmc i, it
will fail unless you are a member of local admins. This is because the user
right "Manage Audit and Security logs" (which ADSM requires to backup the
registry) is only given by default to the Administrators group.

If you are not an administrator you will not be able to measure performance
data. Again by default this is only given to administrators. So you can
forget looking into performance problems.

Sure you can create a group and assign it the appropriate user rights and
make yourself a member, but in a large enterprise it just gets too messy.
Besides that, user rights aren't comprehensive or definitive in all cases.
For instance Administrators can perform certain activities regardless of
their user right settings.

My guess why your NT admin doesn't want to make you an administrator is not
because he doesn't trust that you won't peruse confidential data - you're an
ADSM admin - you can see all the data you want. He's probably worried that
you could inadvertently break something, since administrators do have the
ability to wreck havoc. Unfortunately you're in the predicament though that
unless you're an administrator you won't be able to do your job. I don't
know what the big deal is - if they've made you root on the AIX systems you
already have the ability to destroy the Unix environment. If they trust you
to manage a far more complex and less forgiving O/S such as Unix, then why
can't they trust you with NT?

Nathan