ADSM-L

Re: Win95/NT Desktop Backups

1999-07-08 13:30:57
Subject: Re: Win95/NT Desktop Backups
From: "Moir,Betsy" <betsy.moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:30:57 -0500
We have a client base of about 1000 desktops and one thing you might want to
think about/plan for is dead data.  If a client changes their computer name
or gets a new hard drive with a new name, new filespaces will be created
because ADSM will believe everything to be new.  This seems to happen more
often than you might expect  The old filespaces, however, will sit out there
forever unless they are manually deleted from the server.

We run a report once a month looking for filespaces that haven't been
accessed in over 100 days, send out a note telling everyone that these will
be deleted in one month if we don't hear from them to the contrary.  Dead
data, especially with 3000 to 4000 clients can waste a lot of database space
and storage space.

ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu on 07/08/99 11:04:31 AM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu @ INTERNET