ADSM-L

Re: Error Starting ADSM

1998-09-30 08:55:44
Subject: Re: Error Starting ADSM
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 08:55:44 -0400
In <01BDEC4C.3BC8D8D0.rigna1 AT jcpenney DOT com>, on 09/30/98
   at 08:27 AM, Ronnie Ignacio <rigna1 AT JCPENNEY DOT COM> said:

>Hi ADSMer

>Our ADSM server halted last night, and when I tried to start it today, I
>got the following error message:

>ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.
>ANR0990I ADSM server restart-recovery in progress.
>ANR0200I Recovery log assigned capacity is 452 megabytes.
>ANR0201I Database assigned capacity is 2952 megabytes.
>ANR0306I Recovery log volume mount in progress.
>ANR0353I Recovery log analysis pass in progress.
>ANR0354I Recovery log redo pass in progress.
>ANR0355I Recovery log undo pass in progress.
>ANR9999D logseg.c(457): Log space has been overcommitted (no empty segment
>found) - base LSN = 54173.0.0. ANR7838S Server operation terminated.
>ANR7837S Internal error LOGSEG871 detected.
>  0x10037AAC LogAllocSegment
>  0x10034FE0 ForceLogPages
>  0x10035948 LogWriterThread
>  0x100069C8 StartThread
>  0xD01BCF44 _pthread_body
>ANR7833S ADSM thread 1 terminated in response to program abort. ANR7833S
>ADSM thread 2 terminated in response to program abort. ANR7833S ADSM thread
>3 terminated in response to program abort. ANR7833S ADSM thread 4
>terminated in response to program abort. ANR7833S ADSM thread 5 terminated
>to program abort. ANR7833S ADSM thread 7 terminated in response to program
>abort. ANR7833S ADSM thread 8 terminated in response to program abort.
>ANR7833S ADSM thread 9 terminated in response to program abort. IOT/Abort
>trap(coredump)

>Has anyone experienced this problem? I'll appreciate any help you could
>give me.

>Regards,
>Ron

This happens when you are in rollforward mode and you don't get a full or
incremental database backup done.  the solution is to use an  emergency
utility to extend the log.  On my system, os/390, the doc is in the admin
ref, appendix A, which I am including here.
Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma.
bcolwell AT draper DOT com
  A45ERM01   GC35-0278-01
  A45ERM01   GC35-0278-01

 ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager for MVS: Administrator's Reference

 ÿ Copyright IBM Corp. 1993, 1998

 A.1 DSMSERV EXTEND LOG (Emergency Log Extension)
 ÿ Copyright IBM Corp. 1993, 1998
 ÿ Copyright IBM Corp. 1993, 1998

    Use the DSMSERV EXTEND LOG utility to extend the size of the recovery log
    in situations requiring additional log space to successfully restart the
    server.

    When using the ADSM server with the logmode set to rollforward, it is
    possible for the server to run out of recovery log space before database
    operations can complete successfully. This out-of-space (over committed)
    condition can occur when the recovery log is too small or a database
    backup trigger has been set so that the database backup log full
    percentage is too high. In either of these scenarios, you may need to halt
    the server without sufficient recovery log space available for a
    successful server restart; otherwise, the server will issue the following
    message and then halt.

          ANR9999D LOGSEG(415) Log Space Has Been Over committed.

    In these situations, additional recovery log space is required to restart
    the server. By using DSMSERV EXTEND LOG utility, additional space is
    allocated allowing for a successful server restart. Once the server is
    running, a database backup can occur thereby freeing additional recovery
    log space.

    Syntax

    |------------------------------------------------------------------------|

    | >>--DSMSERV EXTEND LOG--volname--size------------------------------->< |

    |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    Parameters
    Parameters

    volname
         Specifies the name of a new, formatted volume available for use as
         the recovery log extension. This parameter is required.

         Before starting this utility, you must allocate and format the files
         by using the ANRFMT job or the ANRFMT2 job found in ADSM.SAMPLIB. For
         information on using these jobs, see ADSM Administrator's Guide

    size
         Specifies the number of megabytes to be added to the assigned
         capacity of the recovery log. The value is in increments of 4MB. This
         parameter is required.

    Usage Notes

    After successfully extending the recovery log, the server can be
    restarted.  At this time, the size of the recovery log, the database
    backup trigger full percentage, or both need to be adjusted allowing for
    successful future database backups.

    Examples

    Task

    Assume that the server has used all available recovery log space and, that
    because of this, a database backup operation cannot successfully complete.
    The server has halted and during server restart, insufficient recovery log
    space is available for the restart.

    Using the ANRFMT utility, a newly formatted 5MB volume is made available
    for a recovery log extension. The volume name is ADSM.LOGX. The task is to
    extend the recovery log using this newly formatted volume. Once the
    recovery log extension completes, the server can be restarted into a
    production mode.

    For this example, the following steps are required:

    1.  The server must already be halted.

    2.  Use the ANRFMT job or the ANRFMT2 job found in ADSM.SAMPLIB to
        allocate and format the files to be used for the database and recovery
        log.

    3.  Start the MVS job.

    Sample JCL follows:

      //ANREXT  JOB MSGLEVEL=1,
      //          REGION=40M,TIME=1440,CLASS=A,MSGCLASS=H
      //*
      //ALLOLOG  EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
      //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
      //SYSIN    DD *
         DEFINE CLUSTER(NAME(ADSM.LOGX) LINEAR MB(5)  VOL(ADSM1)
      /*
      //*  FORMAT THE DATASET FOR ADSM USE
      //FMTLOG   EXEC PGM=DSMFMT,DYNAMNBR=300,
      //          PARM='/ADSM.LOGX'
      //STEPLIB  DD   DSN=EDC.V2R1M0.SEDCLINK,DISP=SHR
      //         DD   DSN=DSM2.LINKLIB,DISP=SHR
      //         DD   DSN=PLI.MINI.SIBMLINK,DISP=SHR
      //OPT      DD DSN=ADSM.ANRSERV.OPTIONS,DISP=SHR,FREE=CLOSE
      //DSMAMENG DD DSN=ADSM.SANRMSG(ANRMENU),DISP=SHR
      //SYSPRINT DD   SYSOUT=*
      //SYSTERM  DD   SYSOUT=*
      /*
      //EXTLOG   EXEC PGM=DSMSERV,DYNAMNBR=300,
      //          PARM='/EXTEND LOG ADSM.LOGX 4'
      //STEPLIB  DD DSN=EDC.V2R1M0.SEDCLINK,DISP=SHR
      //         DD DSN=DSM2.LINKLIB,DISP=SHR
      //         DD DSN=PLI.MINI.SIBMLINK,DISP=SHR
      //OPT      DD DSN=ADSM.ANRSERV.OPTIONS,DISP=SHR
      //DSMAMENG DD DSN=ADSM.SANRMSG(ANRMENU),DISP=SHR
      //DSK      DD DSN=ADSM.DISKLOG,DISP=SHR
      //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
      //SYSTERM  DD SYSOUT=*