ADSM-L

Exactly when DO backup versions expire?

1998-09-23 12:51:05
Subject: Exactly when DO backup versions expire?
From: "Glass, Peter" <Peter.K.Glass AT NORWEST DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:51:05 -0500
We have the following questions regarding the length of time files are
retained in ADSM storage:
1. The number of days specified in the Retain Extra Versions and Retain Only
Versions parameters-are these always counted from the date the file was
originally backed up, or does the count commence starting from the date that
the file became an extra version, or an only version? For example, if I have
60 defined for Retain Extra, and 180 for Retain only, and the last extra
version just expired today, will the only version remain for another 180
days from today, or will it remain for only 180 minus the the number of days
that have already elapsed since the day it was backed up?
2. If I back up a file only once, and don't delete the file from my
workstation, will that back up version be retained indefinately, unless I
delete or change the file on my workstation? Will it stay for 180 days? Or
does ADSM consider the  file on my workstation as version also, hence my
backed up version is in fact an extra version, subject to deletion in 60
days (or, again, would that be 60 days minus the number of days elapsed
since the back up?) Or does the 180-day count commence only when I delete
the file from my workstation?