ADSM-L

Re: Exactly when DO backup versions expire?

1998-09-23 16:11:47
Subject: Re: Exactly when DO backup versions expire?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:11:47 -0400
>Thanks, this helps,
>...But, if I back up a file only once, and do not ever delete the file on my
>workstation, will the backup copy still expire when the Retonly time is up,
>or will it remain unexpired indefinately, as long as I don't delete the
>version from my workstation. I've heard several people say that ADSM never
>expires your only backup copy, as long as you don't delete it from your
>workstation, but I haven't seen this explicitly stated in the Admin Guide.

What they say is correct.  As the manual says about RETOnly:
    Specifies the retention time, in days, for the last backup version of a
    file that has been deleted from the client's file system.
So as long as the file is on the client system, the backup copy of that file
should remain as well.  The retonly clock starts ticking once the file has
been deleted on the client and ADSM gets wind of it.
       Richard Sims, BU