ADSM-L

Re: AIX Server Configurations

1998-09-21 17:31:40
Subject: Re: AIX Server Configurations
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:31:40 -0400
At 02:31 PM 9/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>We are running an AIX server with a 3494 library attached with 6 3590
>tape drives in it.  We will be purchasing 4-6 more tape drives in the
>future inside another unit.

Spreading tape drives across SCSI channels is fine, but keep in mind that
you can also bottleneck on the I/O bus if you have more than just a few
drives active at once on the bus.  If you have a multiple-bus system, make
sure you also spread your drives across busses.  If you have any way of
predicting what subsets of tape drives will be active simultaneously,
spread the particular drives within those subsets.

..Paul