ADSM-L

Re: AIX Server Configurations

1998-09-22 12:06:03
Subject: Re: AIX Server Configurations
From: Brandon Moore <brandon.moore.hoq0 AT STATEFARM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:06:03 -0500
Sherry:

Ideally you want to have one 3590 Tape Drive per SCSI Adapter Card.  I beg
to differ with the following reply to your situation, because I have had
3590's doing 9.0 MB/s consistently in a One Tape Drive to One SCSI Adapter
Card configuration.  The configuration was an R40 with four 3590's each
with their own SCSI Card during migration in ADSM.  Depending on how much
data you are pushing, you can achieve very high sustained rates.  Just
recently an RS6000 box achieved 7.8 MB/s with two 3590 drives and one SCSI
Adapter Card.  This box is an R21, 256 MB, Four Drives, it was performing a
3 process ADSM migration...Here are the stats:

Migration in Progress?: No
               Amount Migrated (MB): 89,319.33
     Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 11,453

So you can recieve reasonable throughput by daisy-chaining your 3590 Tape
drives.  Since the S70 has A PCI I/O Bus, I suspect there could be an
imporvement
on my numbers(The R40 and R21 have MicroChannel I/O Buses).

Also FYI the S70 is capable of supporting up to 53 PCI devices, so you can
grow into your situation...

Brandon W. Moore
Consultant