ADSM-L

Re: AIX Server Configurations -Reply -Reply

1998-09-21 17:24:20
Subject: Re: AIX Server Configurations -Reply -Reply
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:24:20 -0500
     If this was aimed at me...
     We run our own scripts to back up SAP environments...
     We push the archives to disk
     migrate the disk to tape
     leave cached copies on disk
     This gives us our most current restore set on disk where we can push a
     large amount of concurrent sessions...
     We've found that 8-ish concurrent sessions max out a single fddi
     Unlike going to or comming straight off tape, we can push concurrent
     sessions over two fddi's and double our sessions taking them up to 16.
     I believe somewhere in the area of 1:41 hr:min to arch  67,859,465 KB
     over two networks... if we used client compression we maxed out their
     cpu prior to maxing out a single fddi...  in the end, end... the
     bottle neck turned out to be the client dasd during restores.

     Plus since we were going to dasd we were only limited to the number of
     SAP environments we could back up based on the adsm server cpu... and
     I don't think that we ever saw this R50 hit over 38 (or 48) percent...
     so we could do at least two concurrent sap environments given enough
     network band width...

     later,
           Dwight

Author:  Sherry.Jackson (Sherry.Jackson AT TORO DOT COM) at unix,mime
Date:    9/21/98 3:40 PM

How's your throughput on those adapters?  Do you think they are a
bottleneck with that many tape drives on one adapter?

We currently use 4 tape drives to complete our offline backup of R/3
and want it to go as quickly as possible, and when the new drives
arrive we want to improve the performance, of course.

Sherry