ADSM-L

Re: ADSM versus Arcserve and Backup Exec

1998-09-17 10:39:22
Subject: Re: ADSM versus Arcserve and Backup Exec
From: Salvatore Greco <salvo AT REAPER DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:39:22 +0200
Hi Barry (and Jeff),

I used ot use ADSM and Backup Exec to backup up my NT Exchange server.  The
way it was deployed here was that ADSM used ot back the server up and Backup
Exec (v6.0) with the Exchange plugin to backup the Exchange server.  I then
had the guys from Seagate here with the new Backup Exec 7.0 (with the IDR -
which is amazing and Seagate have said that they will have a working version
of IDR that will be able to support ADSM - WOW) that saw the ADSM tape
library.

This worked very well, but it was still not the ideal solution as from an
enterprise management solution, having to check TWO different places to see if
your backups were successfull.

Now that I have the ADSMConnect agent for Exchange, I can do away with Backup
Exec.  I find that it is a much better solution as I can tell from a single
console and see if any of my backups failed and how long they took, etc.

As far as I can see, the ADSM (v3.0) is quicker to backup my Exchange stores
than the Backup Exec solution (the server is on a 100MB Ethernet).  Plus the
load it places on the server is also much smaller than with Backup Exec.

I would recommend you try the 60-day try-before-you-buy ADSMConnect agent and
see for yourself.

-- Salvatore Greco | salvo AT reaper DOT org | http://salvo.reaper.org