ADSM-L

Re: UFSBACKUP/UFSRESTORE - Solaris 2.4

1998-09-15 09:48:11
Subject: Re: UFSBACKUP/UFSRESTORE - Solaris 2.4
From: Alan White <arw AT TIPPER.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 14:48:11 +0100
David

I've not done it with 2.4 however we do use Solaris jumpstart to rebuild
2.5.1 and 2.6 machines from ADSM backups. We hit one problem with ADSM
not backing up or restoring directories which are mount points. Apart
from that it worked well - much easier than AIX mksysb & NIM (not
intended as inflamatory).

How? OK the ADSM client code is loaded into the mini-root that Solaris
runs when the box is network booted. This client code can then contact
the ADSM server and restore the directories / /opt /usr and so on.

If you have many Solaris boxes and administrators the chances are
they've already built a jumpstart environment.

Regards
Alan