ADSM-L

ADSM versus Arcserve and Backup Exec

1998-09-11 17:01:02
Subject: ADSM versus Arcserve and Backup Exec
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIMO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 17:01:02 -0400
Help!

     There is a shift going on within our company where many Netware
servers are being consolidated to larger NT servers.  A large number of
these Netware soon to be NT servers are located in remote offices connected
to our statewide ATM backbone via T1 lines.  The new NT servers in the
remote offices will contain approximately 6 - 10 GB of user data.
In most cases we were not planning on backing up the remote NT machines to
a central ADSM server because it would take too long to restore an entire
machine in a disaster recovery scenario.  This means, for the remote
offices, local tape, probably a IBM 3570 library, would be used with the
standalone version of ADSM.  We also thought we might backup the 3570
storage pools to a central server for disaster protection.

     Our current enviroment is ADSM for MVS v3 backing up 100 clients all
within the Datacenter or close by.  Clients are AIX, SUN, HP, Windows NT
(Lotus Notes Servers), and 1 Netware server.   ADSM has been in used to
backup our UNIX servers for nearly 3 years.  Arcserve is currently used to
backup the Netware servers using a DAT tape drive attached to each server.
We standardized, or a least I thought we did, on using ADSM company wide
about a year and a half ago.

     Ok that's the background on to the problem.. A person from our
distributed computing group informed me today that they have pretty much
decided to go with Arcserve or Seagate Backup Exec to backup the remote
office servers.  This decision was made without my involvement and
shouldn't have been.. But that's a political issue.. The question I have
for you good people is has anyone out there done a side by side comparison
of the ADSM single server version versus Arcserve and/or Seagate Backup
Exec? Any ammo you can give me that shows ADSM is the better choice would
be GREATLY appreciated.  It is their feeling that ADSM is too slow and not
widely used in the industry for backing up Windows NT or Netware.

Thanks!
Jeff Connor
Niagara Mohawk Power Corp.
Syracuse NY