ADSM-L

Re: ADSM versus Arcserve and Backup Exec

1998-09-15 11:00:45
Subject: Re: ADSM versus Arcserve and Backup Exec
From: Keenan Stratton <stratkee AT GTI DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:00:45 -0400
ADSM'ers,

I have performed multiple off-site DR tests using an IBM 3466 NetStor /3575
ATL.  We have also come to the conclusion that recoveries are a concern.  In
restoring an OpenVMS client, it took 6 hours just to bring back 2GB of data.
Now these results where compounded by manual tape mounts, and a storage pool
that does not use collocation.  However, in restoring an HP-UX client, I've
seen 22GB/hour restore times.

As a result, we are investigating the use of collocation for certain clients
to reduce the amount of tape mounts required in a DR or restore procedure.
This will greatly impact the processing ability of the 3466 and will
increase the tape I/O.  Frequest reclamations should also help.

Keenan D. Stratton
ISI / Mars, Inc.
Technical Analyst
Keenan AT Webname DOT com