ADSM-L

Re: Re[2]: ANS1512E error

1998-09-02 09:30:18
Subject: Re: Re[2]: ANS1512E error
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:30:18 -0400
>According to the description in IC20684 the wrong compiler options were used
>when compiling the client code and the client had problems backing up files
>greater than 2GB.

I had a look at the APAR and see what you mean.  This Solaris client defect
succinctly points out what's wrong with IBM software production, as in pushing
software out to the public because it compiled correctly, but without having
undergone the standardized, cookbook testing which would have readily
uncovered a glaring defect such as this.  For that matter, as a software
developer myself, I would expect there to be authoritative compilation scripts
in place so that there would be no possibility of accidentally compiling with
arbitrary or wrong options.  This is really poor, IBM...amateurish.  We
continue to see this parade of defects and circumventions in this Enterprise
product.  You need to put regimens, disciplines, and administered toolsets
into place which will put an end to this substandard output.  Please, get it
together.
    Richard Sims, Boston University OIT