ADSM-L

Re: Backing up an ORACLE database on AIX

1996-05-02 01:26:02
Subject: Re: Backing up an ORACLE database on AIX
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 00:26:02 -0500
Item Subject: Backing up an ORACLE database on AIX
     Linnea, here is what we do
     ADSM server has scheduled nightly incrementals with includes for all
     file systems (-oracle related with open/active files)
     then we have a cron job on the machine that shuts down the oracle db,
     calls an ARCHIVE (where you can specify management class of your
     choice) of all the oracle data... that way monthly you can plop into a
     mgmtclass of 365 days and 1/4ly for blah and yearly for blah

     you could set a cron job to issue a bunch of incrementals and have
     them plop into the default mgmtclass with excludes of all your oracle
     file systems, then kick off another cron job to close your DB... issue
     a bunch of archives (default to no delete) with -ARCHMc=blah with file
     specs of your oracle file systems & -subdir=y (on both inc's & arc's),
     then restart your DB. if you are backing up oracle nightly and want to
     keep 3 copies specify a mgmtclass with a life span of 3 or 4 days...

     Hope this helps...
     later
          Dwight